Home » Information » Quick Guide To Poison Ivy

Quick Guide To Poison Ivy

Much like one of the famous Batman villains, poison ivy is one of those things that nobody wants to have to deal with. It is a troublesome plant that can cause a great amount of frustration to those that have run-ins with it.

This kind of frustration can be brought on by the oak, ivy, or sumac forms of the poison. Oak and sumac are the cousins of poison ivy, and can bring just as much of that frustration. Did you know that 85% of the population would have an allergic reaction if they were exposed to poison ivy or its two cousins oak and sumac? This is why firefighters and other forest workers can have a hard time with it in Washington, California, and Oregon where the poison oak is extremely popular.

The sensitivity to the poison ivy, sumac, or oak is usually created over a long period of time that involves several encounters with it. Although there are cases where that sensitivity is created with the first ever encounter with poison ivy, sumac, or oak. The blisters, rashes, and other symptoms that you get from these encounters are caused by a chemical in the sap of the poison ivy and its cousins, called urushiol.

Urushiol can’t be picked up by just simply touching the plant when it is whole, it is picked up and causes harm when you are dealing with damaged poison ivy, sumac, or oak. When the plant is damaged it will release the chemical, and that is when you will see a lot of the symptoms that many people today have associated with the plant. It is extremely hard to completely prevent the reactions and symptoms without staying away from the plant. Even when you stay away from the plant, you still have a chance at encountering it. That is because it can stick to other things such as dogs and other objects that you may own.

Another fact that is astonishing as well is that the urushiol can actually stay on items for years, and perhaps even decades in certain situations and environments. Even in the situation in which the urushiol is in a warm and moist environment, it can still end up giving someone a reaction a year after the fact. Pretty much any part of the body is going to be vulnerable as well. Although those parts of the body that have thicker skin are going to be less vulnerable, considering the urushiol has to go through the skin.

Doctors say that the sooner you cleanse the area that you think has been exposed, the more likely it will be that you will be able to get rid of the urushiol before it penetrates the skin.click here to read about taking action